In August 2012, I wrote a blog post about 5 Reasons to Preach Expositionally and I will probably in the near future write about some more reasons to preach in this manner (or consequence of not preaching in this manner).
Above is a link to a good and pithy article from the Gospel Coalition about 6 reasons to not abandon expository preaching in our churches. In short these 6 reasons are:
- It is the method least likely to stray from Scripture.
- It teaches people how to read their Bibles.
- It gives confidence to the preacher and authorizes the sermon.
- It meets the need for relevance without letting the clamor for relevance dictate the message.
- It forces the preacher to handle the tough questions.
- It enables the preacher to expound systematically the whole counsel of God.